August 20, 2008

an Athlete is an athlete......

No matter what??? is it when you cant run a 400 meters, is it when you can't bench 135 pounds. What about is you can't touch your toes. When are you considered a non athlete? when you receive the diploma in the mail,or should you try and keep this thing going for as long as you can. being an athlete constitutes any number of things like riding a bike playing a team/individual sport, golfing believe it or not. so when do you draw the line if there is a line to be drawn. i have been out of football for 5 years and have kept busy for the most part with other things, am i still considered an athlete. ill be the first to tell you I'm not in football shape but i am in shape to run a half marathon does that constitute as being an athlete. So know does yoga count as being a sport, are you yogathetic than??? let me hear your thoughts.

3 comments:

Shannon Smith said...

In my opinion, most of the things you describe are more focused on being "athletic". Athletic meaning that you could participate in "sports". To me, you have to actually be participating in something to be an "athlete".

You have been out of football for five years. So, in that sense you are no longer an athlete, but you are still "athletic". However, you are training for a half-marathon. So, in that you regard you are an athlete. You are no longer a football player, but you are now a different kind of athlete. You're now an endurance athlete.

That's probably not a label that you ever thought you would get, but in my book, thats what you are.

Jeramie Mullis said...

shannon's book has a good point. i think you can be atheletic without being an athelete.

as for being a "yogathelete", i give it up to anyone who can hold one of those positions for more than 10 seconds without passing out or getting a hernia.

Amanda said...

I've played many sports in my days, but never considered myself an athlete. I think it's in your attitude and heart. And I seconded Shannon's comment. you will always be athletic. I can't see you getting a beer gut in five years. So keep it up!! You can beat me in the race if that would make you feel like an athlete :)